Teaching is like giving wings to dreams because I believe that knowledge is the door to opportunity. I think that knowledge is the most special gift one person can give another, and it is something that can never be taken away. Once a person gains new knowledge they are forever changed and that change makes them a more aware and liberated person. I view knowledge like I view freedom, in that both of them open doors and opportunities that weren’t available before. In thinking about my metaphor I envisioned my classroom as a nest with baby birds, unable to fly. They come to me at different stages of development; some are bruised and battered from past experiences, others are afraid to peek outside of the nest, while others attempt to leap our before they are ready. It is my responsibility to nurture and care for these birds until they are ready to fly from my nest. Throughout the year the birds grow, discover, play, stretch their thinking and become more confident in their knowledge and ability. By the end of the year some of the birds have developed full, feathery wings while others have sprouted small buds of what will eventually become wings. Either way, the knowledge they have gained has allowed them to grow into more capable beings. I understand that this metaphor teeters on the line of being corny, but to me it means that I see teaching as giving students new opportunities. What better opportunity can I give a student (bird) other than the ability to succeed (fly)?
Once students are equipped with enough knowledge to form their own opinions and beliefs they are able to go after their own hopes, goals and dreams. I also believe that a crucial part of teaching is helping my students make aspirations for themselves, no matter how lofty they may be. I strongly believe that nothing is impossible, some things may be improbable, but what are odds if not statistics to be challenged? My students will leave my classroom at the end of the year as happy and confident children who will know that with hard work comes reward. They will also know that what they’ve learned is valuable and theirs forever.
No comments:
Post a Comment