Tuesday, April 19, 2011

World Citizens

I was trying to think of a way to lighten up my blogs because they tend to get a little serious sometimes! I like thinking and writing about the serious issues that I've been struggling with, but I also like to think about the fun ways I see ideas expressed through art. We've talked a couple times in class how we hope to make our students successful and contributing "world citizens". I think this is a great idea, and also ties in nicely with our talks on race and culture. A couple of days ago I saw this video and it has been stuck in my head since then because I think it's fabulous! Although some people may think that it is a stretch to say this video represents "world citizenship" but I think it does a nice job. Also, you can't help but notice all of the different cultures and lifestyles presented in this video!

This man named Matt went to 42 different countries over 14 months and just started dancing. Over time, he got people to join in on his silly dance and it has created a lot of buzz on the internet over the last year. I think that it's great to see that in countries all over the world there are adults and children willing to be silly and dance with this strange American man. It might sound corny but it makes me feel like we're not all that different even though our surroundings and settings may be vastly diverse. So if you've already seen it, maybe watch it again and see if you're watching it through a different lens now that we've started this program, and if you're seeing it for the first time, enjoy! This video was posted on youtube by mattharding2718.

1 comment:

  1. I first want to say thank you for posting this video. I had never seen or even heard about it before I read your post. It made me so happy that I cried. Though I must admit I cry pretty easily. I also tend to be pretty serious in my blog posts, because the issues we are talking about are so extremely important. I appreciatted this video becasue of it's sillyness ( I realise that's probably not a word) and reminder that we all just need to let go and do something silly sometimes. My daughter and I do our silly dances together almost everyday. When we do it it's just about letting go, having fun and not caring about how we look. Watching this video and reading this post gave me the idea to have silly dance time in my classroom. I can see it being a good way for students to get out some energy and just have some fun. Thanks again, this was a wonderful reminder that music, dance and art incorporate a universal language that can be understood and shared with everyone around the world.
    PS- I wish the comment box had spell check!!

    ReplyDelete