This made me start to think of how I would want to teach a racially diverse class as a white teacher. This is hard for me because when I describe myself I never think of my race as a defining characteristic or attribute; but I do believe that it is something I should start becoming more aware of it as I move forward into teaching. I think that it's important to show understanding and openness to all races, cultures, and ethnicities, but I struggle to think that that might not be enough. I want my students to feel like they can relate to me even though I most likely do not have the same background, traditions and upbringing that they did.
When we were discussing this issue in class a few people brought up how it's just important to care about each child in the class; to care about where they are coming from, what experiences they are bringing into the classroom, and what their race and family means to them, but I was wondering, is caring enough? I think that a sincere interest in your student's lives and backgrounds is vital to a successful student-teacher relationship. I just hope that truly caring about each student and being open to different races and cultures is enough to overcome the fact that many of my future students won't be able to identify with me racially.
No comments:
Post a Comment